Who is the Holy Spirit and Why did he come?
All I new was that the Holy Spirit is the third person of the trinity. But what I didn’t know was that He was equal to the Father and the Son, so all the attributes ascribed to the Father and Son are equally ascribed to the Holy Spirit. Meaning the Holy Spirit is as powerful as the Father and the Son.
So in order for you to know who the Holy Spirit is and why did he come, we first gotta know He’s personality, nature, what is He’s role, and attributes.
Personality of the Holy Spirit
- In 1 Corinthians 2:11, the Holy Spirit is described as Knowing. “For who knows a person’s thoughts except the spirit of that person, which is in him? So also no one comprehends the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God.“. the ESV version
- In Romans 15:30 there is evidence that the Holy Spirit has emotion which is love. “Brothers and sisters, I ·beg [urge; encourage] you to help [join; strive together with] me in my work by praying to God for me. Do this because of our Lord Jesus and the love that the Holy Spirit gives us [L of the Spirit].” the EXB version
- In 1 Corinthians 12:11 the Holy Spirit exercise His will as he distributes the gifts that we all have and He decides who to give it too. “ One Spirit, the same Spirit, does all these things, and the Spirit decides what to give [distributes just as he wishes to] each person.” the EXB version
The nature of the Holy Spirit are underlined
- Romans 8:2 “For the law of the Spirit of life has set you free in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and death.” the ESV version
- John 16:13 “But when the Spirit of truth comes, he will lead you into all truth. He will not speak his own words. He will speak only what he hears and will tell you what will happen in the future.” the ERV version
- Hebrews 10:29 “So think how much more punishment people deserve who show their hate for the Son of God—people who show they have no respect for the blood sacrifice that began the new agreement and once made them holy or who insult the Spirit of God’s grace.” the ERV version
- Romans 1:4 “and was declared to be the Son of God in power according to the Spirit of holiness by his resurrection from the dead, Jesus Christ our Lord,” the ESV version
The role of the Holy Spirit
- In John 14:16, 26 He’s role is described as our helper and counselor. 16″I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper to be with you forever.” 26 “ But the Helper will teach you everything and cause you to remember all that I told you. This Helper is the Holy Spirit that the Father will send in my name.” the ESV version
- 1 Corinthians 3:16 The Holy Spirit dwells in us. “Don’t you know that you yourselves are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit dwells in your midst? the NIV version
- In John 16:13-14 He guides us in truth. “13 But when the Spirit of truth comes, he will lead you into all truth. He will not speak his own words. He will speak only what he hears and will tell you what will happen in the future. 14 The Spirit of truth will bring glory to me by telling you what he receives from me.” the ERV version
- Acts 1:8 The Holy Spirit will give us power! “ But the Holy Spirit will come on you and give you power. You will be my witnesses. You will tell people everywhere about me—in Jerusalem, in the rest of Judea, in Samaria, and in every part of the world.” the ERV version
Actions the Holy Spirit performs
- In Acts 13:2 He calls the believers for special work.
- Acts 8:29 He directs the serving believers.
- Romans 8:14 He leads and equips leadership.
- John 16:7-8 He convicts the world of sin, righteousness and judgment.
- Romans 8:26 He helps us intercede when talking to the Father.
- 2 Thessalonians 2:13 He sanctifies the believers.
- Hebrews 9:14 The Holy Spirit is Eternal.
- Psalm 139:7 He is omnipresent which means he is everywhere.
- 1 Corinthians 2:10-11 He knows the things of God.
Why did He come?
John 16:14 says “The Spirit of truth will bring glory to me by telling you what he receives from me.” the ERV version So the Holy Spirit came not only to help us but most importantly to Glorify Christ!
In this lesson I learned that the Holy Spirit is powerful and He gives us power as well. He dwells in us and if He is in us we have a direct line to the Father. And when I have no words to say, the Holy Spirit can inter-seed for me.
I thought that was amazing and just so powerful, that the same power that is in Christ Jesus is in us, because he gave it to us when we received Jesus as our savior……
Now the question is now that you are saved (if you are) are you spirit filled? And this is what I will be getting into in the next couple of series…..So stay tuned for part two of the series!!!:)
What about you, what is your take about the Holy Spirit?
I used bible gateway for all the verses.